Nestling baby in your arms is the best thing you feel as a mother. However, sometimes breastfeeding becomes impossible, and that’s when you go for bottle feeding either all the time or at least for some part of the day. Colic, on the other hand, is the worst nightmare you can encounter as a mother. It causes irritable crying in the babies. In such cases, finding the right kind of specialized bottle which prevents gas and colic in babies is important.
These bottles tend to give you rather peaceful moments at nights. Even though if your baby is not entirely up for non-breast milk and is one year old already, you can try pumping your milk into the bottle and feed him/here. Therefore, here’s a list of best recommended 5 baby anti collic bottles for gassy babies.
Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow
With a truckload of positive reviews from parents all over the world, Dr.Brown’s Natural Flow is one of the best bottles for breastfed babies. It is exclusively designed for babies with gas and colic, and they come in standard shape embedded with vent technology. The features include vacuum-free milk, natural flow because of the vent system.
The milk is free flowing just like from the breast as the air near the nipple collar usually gets back into the bottle instead of the baby’s mouth. Many moms admit that the Dr.Brown’s Natural Flow bottle is a rescue to their babies’ gassy problems.
Material: Glass or Polypropylene
Nipple: Breast like
Vent and Valve: Advanced
Available Sizes: 2 Oz, 4 Oz, 8 Oz
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature
With the main aim for easy transition between the bottle and the baby’s mouth, this bottle is one of the best baby bottles for reflux. The easy latch, the slow flow nipple, the wide-necked shape, the sensitive vent valve offers relaxed and comfortable feeding to the baby.
As mentioned above, the air flow is not allowed to enter the baby’s mouth and therefore, babies can ingest the milk easily without any complications. According to the statistics, babies which refused other bottles have grown fond of the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles.
Nipple: Breast Like
Vent and Valve: Sensitive Vent
Available Size: 4 Oz, 8 Oz
If your baby is still habituated to breastfeeding, this is the first among best bottles to use while breastfeeding. Pump your milk into it as it has a special nipple which is just like your nipple. This nipple has the stretching ability and therefore the baby can happily latch on to it. It comes with an anti-colic vent valve which doesn’t allow any air to travel through the nipple.
The latch also reduces the gas that mixes with the milk and therefore, the amount of gas going into your baby’s stomach is very less. Amusingly, it has won the Baby’s Best Award for Best Bottle in America, 2015; on the basis of votes by moms.
Material: Plastic (BPA, PVC, and Phthalate free)
Vent and Valve: Anti-Colic
Available Sizes: 4 Oz, 8 Oz.
Comotomo Natural Feel
Standing after Dr. Brown’s in the best bottles for gassy babies; it has received thousands of positive feedbacks from parents across the world. However, it has a wide neck unlike the Dr. Brown’s with the silicone nipple and skin-like texture; making the baby feel close to the mother’s breast. For this reason, babies love to feed on this.
The bottle is squeezable, soft and offers a soothing to the baby with the anti-colic vent technology and a favorable air circulation inside the bottle to avoid leaks and the colic. Mothers have stated that it’s the cleanest bottle that you can witness with 100% safer material usage and they also found that the baby’s spitting up and gas gets reduced after using this bottle.
Nipple: Breast -Like, Angled
Vent and Valve: Soft Valve
Available Sizes: 4 Oz, 8 Oz.
Philips AVENT Natural Polypropylene
Working wonderfully, it is one of the best bottles for breastfed babies. Similar to Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature, they have a breast-like nipple with latch-on ability, flexibility and unique petals that provide comfort to the babies. The anti-colic system indulged in it is advanced with twin valves that not only release the air back into a bottle but also provides free flow to the baby’s mouth. If your baby has a sensitive tummy, this one is the best recommended for you.
Material: Glass or PolyPropylene
Nipple: Breast Like
Vent and Valve: Twin Valves
Available Sizes: 4 Oz, 9 Oz, 11Oz
How to Select Best Baby Bottles for Gas & Colic?
Types of Bottles:
The bottles come in different shape, with different materials, vents, valves and nipple designs.
- Plastic: Plastic baby bottles are budget friendly and are easy to transport. These bottles will come with volume marking on the inside. They have plastic collars and silicone nipples and some of them offer internal venting systems.
- Glass: Heavier than plastic, they are breakable and therefore are difficult to carry. However, they can be cleaned easily, they are scratch resistant, they have a long lifespan with eco-friend technology. They are relatively costly and sometimes are difficult for the baby to hold. But they are superior to plastic bottles.
- Stainless Steel: Again, the recyclable bottles; they are lighter than the plastic bottles at sometimes, and they come with silicone sleeves. These are best recommended especially for the newborn babies.
The shape of the bottles vary from easier holding to the contoured bottles. They have wide openings making the milk transfer easy and the cleaning easier. However, the narrow opening ones are harder to clean and they also can lead to spillage while feeding and filling. But they are best for babies with smaller mouths.
The two types of nipples that are widely popular are the narrow nipples and the breast like nipples. However, both of them are made of silicone and only have few differences.
- Narrow: They come with the bottles with narrow necks and are a bit difficult even for the baby to latch on. They don’t usually have vents and are not very recommended for the newborn babies.
- Breast Like: With a wider base, these bottles come with wider neck bottles. These nipples claim that they make the baby feeding more friendly and are also good for making the baby learn how to latch onto.
Vents and Valves:
All the vents and valves claim prevention of air in baby’s ingestion. They say that they help in burping, colic, gas and spitting up. However, it is difficult to decide which is the best even after testing the bottles. Therefore, instead of trying our new options; it is best recommended to buy one of the above mentioned best baby bottles for reflux instead as they are universally accepted.
Choosing a Best Baby Bottle to use while breastfeeding is not easy because most of the times you will either be overwhelmed by recommendations or swayed by some of the non-authentic reviews. Therefore, start with selecting the body material you want, and that is suitable for your baby based on the description above. The next question is in selecting the nipple.
In general, as babies prefer bottles with breast-like nipples; prefer them for their unique latching abilities. A nursing mother should at least wait for 6 weeks before feeding the baby with a bottle, and therefore, latching is an important thing to consider while feeding babies to avoid negative impacts.
Advantages of Baby Bottles:
With a new baby born, feeding is the biggest difficulty. The three options available is either breastfeeding, bottle feeding or a right combination of both. Therefore, it is essential to buy the best bottle if you are planning on using formula due to unavoidable situations. The advantages include:
- Avoid Colic and Gas: Babies tend to eat air while drinking milk and therefore, by buying these best bottles to use while breastfeeding, you can reduce the amount of air that is going into your baby’s tummy. Due to this, the baby can ingest the milk easily which leads to reduction in gas, leaking and colic.
- To provide mom with breaks: If a mom is planning to breastfeed, she sometimes need time to get away from baby because of her responsibilities or her own sanity requirements. In such cases, the baby should have a good routine with the breastfeeding bottles.
- Help others bond with the baby: Feeding is a great opportunity for dads to bond with their babies. Therefore, cradling your baby, and feeding them with baby bottles while making eye contact is the best way to make your baby realize that you’re the dad or someone who is close.
- Transportability: If the mom is not around, babies usually make a heck when they are hungry. In such cases, you will be needing a bottle around to feed the baby and make him/her at ease.
- Formula Feeding: We often tend to listen that some mothers grow out of milk because of their physical conditions and therefore, the babies are to be fed with a formula for physical strength. In such cases, baby bottles come handy.
Concluding, we recommend the parents to buy a single best bottle with adequate potential instead of buying a bundle. Choose the good fit among the 5 best baby bottles for gas and colic. You can start searching for them on best retailers like Amazon for easy buys, user-friendly returns and fast deliveries. Order the one that you think is best suitable for your baby from the above list right now. What are you waiting for?